Jehangir Hospital is one of the leading hospital in Pune. Jehangir hospital functions with the attitude of service and well-being of everyone. With the broad vision of the Trustees of the Hospital, Yoga has been introduced on daily basis for In-patients & Staff for their overall upliftment including physical health, mental well-being and emotional stability.
Yoga for In-patients:
Yogic techniques are introduced to patients which they do on bed are gentle, simple yet very effective. These practices are set by the designated Yoga Teachers & Therapists, Mr. Prashant Pandey & Mrs. Ruchira Pandey, from a therapeutic point of view. These practices help the patient on two levels:-
- To release the physical and mental stress.
- The healing capacity works on its optimum level after the stress is released which also compliments the medical treatment given by the Hospital.
In brief, what the inpatients are doing:
- Short relaxation on bed. The practice relaxes the patient on his/her designated bed itself without moving the space. The relaxation practice helps to break down the anxious mental pattern which is very usual being a patient and treated medically in a Hospital. It induces the endorphin hormone which is one of pain killer hormone produce by human body.
- As and when required Yoga Nidra is given on respective bed which helps to regain the confidence, recovery and healing process fastens as stress is released and acceptance comes.
- As and when required, effective breathing techniques, like abdominal or diaphragmatic breathing to expand awareness of breath. Abdominal breathing is the most natural and efficient way to breathe. Due to tension, poor posture, restrictive clothing and lack of training, however, it is often forgotten. Once this technique again becomes a part of daily life and correct breathing is restored, there will be a great improvement in the state of physical and mental wellbeing.
- Short meditation techniques in lying position (as the patient may be undergoing Dialysis or chemotherapy or pre/post-surgery or other medical condition).
- Simple healing visualizations.
- As and when required, gentle but effective joints practices to release the blocked pranic and healing energy.
Yoga for Staff:
- They do yoga in capsules which consists a unique combination of Asana, Pranayama, Mudras, Relaxation, Yoga-Nidra & Meditation.
- Asanas help in improving blood circulation by releasing stagnant blood and allowing the fresh oxygenated energy to flow in all different parts of the body. Practicing asanas tones the nerves, helps the muscles to become more flexible and strengthens joints.
- Pranayama allows awareness of breath, increases lung capacity, brings the nervous system into balance, thus helping the brain to feel rejuvenated and fresh by better oxygen supply.
- Mudras help the scattered energy to re-channelize into required body parts.
- Yoga-Nidra helps to release deep and old impressions, relaxes the body and mind on psychic levels. It makes the practitioner high on concentration.
- Meditation and relaxation provide the staff with raised energy levels, calm disposition, positive interactions and high-on efficiency.
- To summarize, Yoga not only helps the staff on individual level but also brings a positive environment among themselves with a better understanding for each other and to work in unison.